Wednesday 19 September 2012

Design Team Call Entry for TPBP Oct 2012

Hi Everyone!

I'm excited to share with you a project I have created recently for a special friend of mine on YouTube! I am also submitting this project as my entry for The Piece by Piece design team call. If you aren't familiar with The Piece by Piece, please check out the etsy store here and the blog. For this project, I altered a wooden cigar box that you can find at Michael's Arts and Crafts store.

My friend have previously told me that her all time favorite paper collection is the Almanac by Prima Marketing Inc. I thought I'd surprise her by creating her something out of that paper collection (which is not what I'm normally used to creating). This project is more on the vintage-grunge style. As you may have noticed, those who follow my blog, I tend to lean on the shabby chic style of crafting. But, I must say, I had a lot of fun creating this box and will definitely explore the different styles in crafting.

Back to the project, I painted it first with light pink acrylic paint and once it was dry, I applied crackle medium and then applied vintage white acrylic paint once the medium dried. I wanted the crackling technique to show a lil more and so I distressed the box with Tim Holtz' Tea Dye Distress Ink. I wish I had taken step by step pictures to show the actual look of the distressed box without all the embellishments. I then applied a lace fabric on top of the box and sealing it with Modge Podge in Matte. After that, I distressed the lace again with Tea Dye Distress Ink by Tim Holtz. Now, I won't go into details with what I have done for the rest. I did record a video which I will be posting on YouTube once my friend has received it because it's a surprise! LOL! So if you would like to see the video, subscribe to jhoclueless.

So let the images talk:

top or front of box


side view
 
 I used a variety of I am Roses products as well


top view
 
 
 inside of the box


I also added an acrylic piece behind the lace to make the pocket more functional


I hope you like my project! I had so much fun creating this and I hope my friend will like it too. Thanks for taking the time to read this post! Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanne,
    Beautiful Project! I love all the details you put in and the laces and trims are so beautiful! I wanted to ask also, if there was a video on this? Please email me the video link. I want to share it with some of my Designers to help me with voting! Thank you so much for your submission and your support!!
    Best,
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete